Register Log in
AuthorMessage
totem
May 12, 2011, 11:04 a.m.

What kind of features would you like to have for authoring the games?

GBE
Sept. 9, 2011, 4 a.m.

Some suggestions for you to make a good app great.

1. Allow clues and solutions to be moved directly on the main map without having to go into each individual challenge to move them. We had 56 challenges and left the clue locations until last, but it was painstaking doing it then.

2. Allow configuration of GPS proximity. We have found that the GPS sometimes isn't accurate and people lose a lot of points trying to pickup clues or solve them. It would be nice to be able to set an accuracy, e.g. 25 metres.

3. Allow drilldown into the "High Score" table to see the breakdown of each participant's score - what the picked up and solved

4. iPhone version?

5. Allow display on the website of the map showing just the clues. We wanted to provide teams with a printout of the map with clues only, so they could look at it without wasting phone battry, but had to give it to them with the solutions on it also as there was no way to just display the clue.

GBE
Sept. 9, 2011, 4:03 a.m.
  1. Provide information on how scoring works. When we used it, we had no idea how many points you get for challenges. I presume the Difficulty is a factor. Category? Anything else? Is clue-solution distance involved? Type
totem
Sept. 9, 2011, 7:55 a.m.

Hi GBE!

1) Wow, 56 must be the biggest mission ever implemented! But I see your problem. I will put it on our feature request list and we will see if we can implement it. Makes a lot of sense!

2) At the moment there should be a 20m error range for GPS. So the only thing missing is to let the game author modify the value. Will make it into the next update, I hope!

3) Good idea!

4) That would be very nice, yes. But we are a research project so on the one hand we have only very limited manpower for pure implementation work. Also, we have severe legal issues with the app store.

5) It's there, but hidden. Go to "All missions" and select yours. Shows only the clues.

6) Oh yes, that's missing! :-/ It all depends on the difficulty. Also you get 1 point for picking something up and -1 for a mistake when trying to solve.

Thanks for the great feedback!

GBE
Sept. 9, 2011, 8:03 a.m.

Not sure about android but the GeoLocation in iPhone gives an accuracy, if android has it you could extend the error range accordingly (to a max of 100m or so).

GBE
Sept. 9, 2011, 8:04 a.m.

OK, thanks for the update.

Steve.

totem
Sept. 9, 2011, 1 p.m.

That's a very good suggestion! We will look into that.

GBE
Sept. 12, 2011, 3:14 a.m.

One more suggestion, although maybe this is more suited to our use than other peoples. We were using it for a work Treasure Hunt, with different teams of work colleagues (teams were required as only a few people had Androids).

How about allowing 'sharing' of the mission on the web, like when I am logged into the website but with only read-only access. This would be so we could distribute this url after the Treasure Hunt so all the participants could browse all the clues and solutions. We had so many challenges we never expected anyone to get them all, and the people would be interested to see the solutions, and indeed the clues they never picked up. Taking one team in particular, they can't check on the phone as they've already deleted the app due to running out of space on their phone.

Also, from MY point of view, after traipsing all over the city centre taking photos, it would be a pity if people didn't even see some of the challenges, especially as some of them involve quirky aspects of Dublin that they might find interesting.

When I say 'sharing', I mean providing a url like you can get when sharing a document on Google Docs, e.g. http://totem.fit.fraunhofer.de/tidycity/authoring/mission/73/1voeDPOKbP0w1sBKMd_muw1QCk3ZvoDCvnrOX_dO5JMc

totem
Sept. 16, 2011, 6:48 a.m.

Hi Steve,

this is something that had not yet occured to us but is certainly a nice idea. I will look into it to see how difficult it is to implement.

Cheers, Richard

Copyright © 2016 TOTEM. Theories and Tools for Distributed Authoring of Mobile Mixed Reality Games.
Data Protection Policy Impressum